[UPDATED] CIDB: No construction work done on day of Putra Heights blast

KUALA LUMPUR: The Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) says no construction works were carried out at the site of the Putra Heights gas pipeline explosion on the day of the incident.

featured-image

KUALA LUMPUR: The Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) says no construction works were carried out at the site of the Putra Heights gas pipeline explosion on the day of the incident.CIDB said its preliminary investigations showed that the development project, which had been linked to the explosion, was actually located 30-metres away from the blast site."The reports that we received showed that there were only sewerage works done at the construction site on March 30, 2025 while housekeeping works were done the following day," Selangor CIDB director Heryanti Hilmi said after visiting the blast site today.

CIDB has engaged with the relevant agencies and contractors involved in constructing the double-storey, 10-unit shop lot project near the location as part of its ongoing investigation.A security guard and a migrant worker present at the construction site during the blast were rushed to the hospital as they sustained injuries."Nonetheless, the case is still under further investigation as CIDB is still waiting for supporting documents to obtain the classification of the incident under the Malaysian Construction Industry Development Act 1994," Heryanti said.



Earlier today, Subang Jaya's mayor confirmed that local authorities approved the development project near the site of the underground gas pipeline fire in Putra Heights.Mayor Datuk Amirul Azizan Abd Rahim said the project underwent the proper approval process in 2022, including obtaining Petronas' permission to use the Right-of-Way (ROW) for the Indah Water Konsortium (IWK) route.Yesterday, a Petronas gas pipeline exploded in the morning causing fire to shoot into the sky.

The heat from the flames — visible from kilometres away — was said to have melted plastic and metal located within a wide radius of the pipeline.The fire was reported to have been accompanied by several explosions that shook the ground. The flames set off fires in several houses as the pipeline is located near residential areas.

A total of 145 people were injured and are receiving treatment in several hospitals.No fatalities were recorded. Health Minister Datuk Seri Dzulkefly Ahmad said the majority of the victims suffered second and third-degree burns.

A total of 111 people are still undergoing treatment today.As of noon today, 538 victims were displaced following the explosion. © New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd.