Two football fans have been imprisoned for their roles in a brawl following a match. On August 19, 2023, Bolton Wanderers played borough neighbours Wigan Athletic at home. Wanderers lost the derby match 4-0, but the game was overshadowed by disgraceful scenes outside the stadium.
At around 4pm, more than 40 Bolton and Wigan fans brawled in Market Street, Westhoughton , disrupting traffic, before police were called. On Thursday, April 3, five of the Bolton fans involved in the public disorder were sentenced at Bolton Crown Court. Paul Regan, 36, Adam Sayers, 45, Joshua Nicholson, 19, Troy Taylor, 25 and Stephen Ince, 41, were all present on the day.
In February, the court heard the details of their involvement, as well as mitigation for each of the defendants, before adjourning the case to April. Judge Nicholas Clarke KC gave his verdicts for each of the five men on the latter date. He said: "Nobody could have been in any doubt as to the potential for the volatility, violence and public disorder that a confrontation with fans of the opposing team could bring.
"Anyone would have known what would happen should they as an individual make any move towards the opposing fans in an aggressive manner. Stephen Ince (Image: GMP) "Your actions and the actions of others cannot be overstated, nor can the fear engendered by such lawless behaviour." Addressing Ince, Judge Clarke outlined how, following the match, Bolton fans, having heard about an altercation in the Wheatsheaf pub involving Wigan fans, gathered outside the White Horse pub, where Ince and other Bolton fans had been drinking.
He said: "You were looking at Market Street, clearly anticipating the violence that would follow. "The group outside increased in size. You took the lead role, followed by 20 others.
"You walked in the carriageway in front of a single decker bus. "Your manner was arrogant and belligerent. As the bus tried to make its way down the road, you turned around and addressed the driver and did not get out of the way.
" Judge Clarke outlined how Ince, of Marlbrook Drive, Westhoughton, approached the Wigan fans and the two groups began fighting. He described how the defendant took a "boxer's stance" and landed a "barrage of punches". Citing Ince's leading role and previous convictions for football-related offences, he sentenced him to 21 months imprisonment and a six-year football banning order.
As his sentence was handed down, Ince hung his head in the dock. Addressing Nicholson, of Linfield Close, Harwood, Judge Clarke described how he had been a "nuisance" at and after the match and how he was one of the fans arrived in a car and met outside the White Horse. He said: "You were seen to approach the very centre of (the fight).
You attacked a Wigan fan and using both fists you threw a barrage of punches on that male, to the upper body, face and head." An image from the brawl (Image: Public) Read more: Group of men got involved in mass brawl following Bolton vs Wigan match Read more: Bystander injured as football hooligans bring 'terror to the streets' Read more: Three more in court over football-related 'violent disorder' Citing Nicholson's young age and lack of previous convictions, Judge Clarke said he did not have to go to prison. He was given a 12-month community order and ordered to undertake 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days, 100 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £500 towards prosecution costs, as well as a three-year football banning order.
The court heard that Taylor, of Martin Avenue, Little Lever, had been seen arriving outside the White Lion with other Bolton fans. Judge Clarke said: "You proceeded down Market Street, towards the Wigan supporters. "You rushed forward and were very animated, waving your arms towards them.
"You were an active participant." He gave Taylor a 12-month community order, citing his lack of previous football-related convictions. Judge Clarke also ordered him to complete 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days and 100 hours of unpaid work, as well as to pay £1000 towards prosecution costs.
He was also given a four-year football banning order. Addressing Regan, of Daisy Street, Daubhill, Judge Clarke said: "You were part of the group that made their way towards Horwich Parkway as part of an earlier brief altercation. Adam Sayers (Image: GMP) "You then engaged in the main disorder outside the town hall.
"Others engaged in the fighting, with you, at one point, performing a flying kick." Citing his lack of previous football-related violence, Judge Clarke suspended Regan's 12-month sentence for 18 months. He also ordered him to do 150 hours of unpaid work and to pay £700 towards prosecution costs, as well as giving him a five year football banning order.
Addressing Sayers, Judge Clarke said: "You ought to be truly ashamed of yourself. "You were part of the group at Horwich Parkway in the brief altercation, which ought to have warned you off." Concerning the brawl in Westhoughton, he added: "You were involved at a stage where people were punching and kicking one another, you and another knocked a man to the ground and then you kicked him twice to the head.
"This is of the most serious of the violence that followed. "You yourself were knocked to the ground. As the police arrived and the crowd began to disperse, you were still kicking out at a male who was lying on the ground.
" Judge Clarke cited Sayers' 16 convictions for 22 previous offences. He added: "It is inexplicable, having been involved in the earlier confrontation and having been detained and released, that one could imagine why you chose to get involved in the further violence that afternoon." He sentenced Sayers to 12 months imprisonment, as well as a six-year football banning order.
Fellow defendants involved in the disorder, Anthony Pennington, of Poolbank Close, Hindley Green, and David Howells, of no fixed address, will be sentenced on Tuesday..
Health
Two jailed for roles in 'lawless' mass brawl following football derby
Two football fans have been imprisoned for their roles in a brawl following a match