
People fly kites outside the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington. Shedrick Pelt/for The Washington Post As Washington’s famed cherry blossoms burst into bloom on Saturday, the lobby of the National Museum of African American History and Culture bustled with visitors. Hundreds of out-of-town tourists had come hoping to get a slice of U.
S. history. Two friends from New Jersey were there after unsuccessful attempts to secure tickets years before.
Another pair of self-proclaimed “cherry blossom fanatics” from Illinois wandered in while attending festivities celebrating the flowers. Some college students traveled from Pennsylvania to roam the halls as part of a trip for their scholarship program. Maggie Wright and Bri’Anne Wright at the African American Museum in Washington.
Shedrick Pelt/for The Washington Post But all of them said they were surprised that President Donald Trump had issued an executive order just two days before, attacking the Smithsonian for its “race-centered ideology” and threatening funding for the world’s largest museum, education and research complex. The order will focus on removing “anti-American ideology,” according to a White House fact sheet. “African Americans are a part of American history,” Bri’Anne Wright, a 35-year-old from California, said after exploring the museum with her mother.
“There’s no way this is anti-American if it’s showing everything we’ve been through and what our nation is founded on.” “How is it divisive to educate people on what happened?” Leisa Stoeckert, 56, said. “This is a long neglected part of history.
” An executive order directs Vice President JD Vance to remove what he deems “improper” from the Smithsonian Institution. Shedrick Pelt/for The Washington Post Trump’s executive order, which has drawn widespread condemnation from Democrats, claims that the Smithsonian had in recent years promoted narratives that portray American values as “harmful and oppressive.” It directs Vice President JD Vance to eliminate what he finds “improper” from the Smithsonian Institution, including its museums, education and research centers, and the National Zoo.
“Museums in our Nation’s capital should be places where individuals go to learn — not to be subjected to ideological indoctrination or divisive narratives that distort our shared history,” it states. While the order attacked the Smithsonian Institution broadly, it also singled out the National Museum of African American History and Culture for a post it made nearly five years ago. In 2020, the museum posted an infographic on the education section of its website, listing “aspects and assumptions about white culture.
” The traits included “rugged individualism,” hard work, respect of authority and “the nuclear family.” After conservatives such as Ben Shapiro and Donald Trump Jr. criticized the post on social media, the museum released a statement apologizing for the chart and removed it.
The chart, or any references to it, does not seem to appear in the physical museum or its website today. Several of the museum’s visitors on Saturday had never heard about the infographic and pushed back against the idea that the museum perpetuated anti-American ideology. Jonah Gutterman, right, and his parents outside the African American Museum.
Shedrick Pelt/for The Washington Post Jonah Gutterman, a 22-year-old American University student, had been to the museum a handful of times before and wanted to share the experience with his parents, who were visiting from New Jersey for the National Cherry Blossom Festival. The family spent most of their time in the museum’s lowest level, which focuses on the history of slavery. Gutterman said that he appreciated learning about aspects of American history that weren’t emphasized in his public school curriculum.
“I actually think it’s incredible to look at these exhibits and see how far we’ve come as a society and progressed,” Gutterman said. “But I think trying to censor or prevent people from seeing certain material, I think, can be super harmful and is not a good path to go down.” A handful of museumgoers discussed the executive order as they perused the exhibits, but the vast majority — like old co-workers-turned-friends Arnetta Farrow, 74, and Elise Jackson, 60 — were cherry blossom tourists with no knowledge of the controversy.
The former flight attendants flew from Chicago to D.C. to witness the nation’s capital in bloom and decided to grab tickets inside the museum, a place that the two Black women had visited twice before.
They learned of the executive order at the museum Saturday and reacted with dismay. A group attends the African American Museum in D.C.
Shedrick Pelt/for The Washington Post Jackson immediately texted a group of fellow Black women the news, writing: “This is a place where I can come to enjoy learning and reminiscing about my heritage.” “That museum is a very special place for EVERYONE to learn about our history!!! HE BETTER NOT TOUCH IT!!!” one of her friends responded, referring to Trump. When the National Museum of African American History and Culture opened in 2016, it was heralded as a “dream come true” by those who spent years fighting for its existence.
Advocates and lawmakers had spent more than a hundred years trying to establish Washington’s first museum dedicated to African American history and culture before President George W. Bush signed a bill in 2003 authorizing the museum. The museum is now one of the Smithsonian’s most popular attractions, according to data from the institution, with more than 12 million visitors since it opened in September 2016.
As one of the smaller museums on the mall, it’s the only attraction to require timed-entry tickets due to high demand. Derrick Braxton outside the African American Museum. Shedrick Pelt/for The Washington Post Trump’s edict marks his latest attempt to mold Washington’s cultural life, following his decision last month to purge the Kennedy Center board of his predecessor’s appointees and install himself as chairman.
Some at the museum Saturday were uncertain what increased government oversight of the museum would look like. “What oversight can you have over it now?” Derrick Braxton, 35, said outside the museum Saturday. “You’ve had millions of people come in and out of this building.
The knowledge you’re trying to contain and put back in the ground is already out there.” Many Black visitors said the museum, which highlights the discrepancy between the freedom promised in America’s founding and the injustices African Americans have faced for centuries, felt especially important to protect. Mother-daughter duo Maggie and Bri’Anne Wright said they left the museum reflecting on their heritage — both the parts they celebrate today and the parts that have been lost over the years.
“I feel like as a Black American,” Maggie Wright said, “you erased enough already.” We believe it’s important to offer commenting on certain stories as a benefit to our readers. At its best, our comments sections can be a productive platform for readers to engage with our journalism, offer thoughts on coverage and issues, and drive conversation in a respectful, solutions-based way.
It’s a form of open discourse that can be useful to our community, public officials, journalists and others. Read more..
. We do not enable comments on everything — exceptions include most crime stories, and coverage involving personal tragedy or sensitive issues that invite personal attacks instead of thoughtful discussion. For those stories that we do enable discussion, our system may hold up comments pending the approval of a moderator for several reasons, including possible violation of our guidelines.
As the Maine Trust’s digital team reviews these comments, we ask for patience. Comments are managed by our staff during regular business hours Monday through Friday and limited hours on Saturday and Sunday. Comments held for moderation outside of those hours may take longer to approve.
By joining the conversation, you are agreeing to our commenting policy and terms of use . More information is found on our FAQs . You can modify your screen name here .
Show less Please sign into your Press Herald account to participate in conversations below. If you do not have an account, you can register or subscribe . Questions? Please see our FAQs .
Your commenting screen name has been updated. Send questions/comments to the editors..