TRANSCRIPT: Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo on diplomacy in a changing world

featured-image

Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo talks about the relationship of the Philippines with the United States and China, among other countries, as the world faces unprecedented changes

window.rapplerAds.displayAd( "middle-1" );window.

rapplerAds.displayAd( "mobile-middle-1" );MANILA, Philippines – In recent months, the world has seen major shifts in foreign and economic policy.The United States (US), for one, has taken a harder stance against some of its traditional partners, including Europe and Canada.



It has also withdrawn from several United Nations (UN) agencies and temporarily halted foreign aid — moves that have impacted on many countries, including the Philippines.At the same time, more European countries are paying attention to the situation in the South China Sea and the Philippines’ sovereignty over the West Philippine Sea.How does the Philippines — and its relationships with other countries — fit into these changes? Rappler editor-at-large Marites Vitug and foreign affairs reporter Bea Cupin sat down with Foreign Secretary Enrique Manalo in an interview to discuss foreign policy issues and approaches amid these changes.

The interview was aired on March 28. The following are highlights lifted from the Taglish transcript of the sitdown interview. Also edited for brevity and clarity.

Watch the full episode here. On Philippines-US relationsBea Cupin: By the end of this week, [US] Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth is visiting the Philippines for the first time. I guess ang tanong ng bayan or tanong ng mga people who care a lot about security and defense, the bilateral relationship — how ironclad is ironclad in the context of the second Trump presidency? Enrique Manalo: I can only base my comment on that based on our discussions that we’ve had already with the high-level officials from President Trump’s administration.

[They include] the secretary of defense, and I’ve also met with Secretary Rubio — I met him in Munich. And I’ve also spoken with him over the phone. We’ve also had contact with the National Security Advisor Waltz.

And the President has also spoken with President Trump. And I have to say that in all of those conversations, the discussions have been very positive and future-oriented. Discussions have been on how we can cooperate more.

For example, in my discussions, not only on defense and security, but even on economic cooperation between the Philippines and the US, promoting economic cooperation, and thereby promoting economic security and resilience. So I think what I’ve been seeing is very positive. And I don’t think you can get a better indication of that at least so far in our discussions.

And the secretary of defense is coming here, as you’ve said, this week, and I expect we will even have more fruitful discussions with him, especially with him, it’s Secretary Teodoro, and he’ll also call on the President.Marites Vitug: Maybe one indicator of the positive vibe or relationship with America is that President Trump hasn’t mentioned us or Southeast Asia or South China Sea. So we’re not on his radar, right? Enrique Manalo: I don’t know.

I think he’s also focusing a lot now, obviously, on other issues: Ukraine, Middle East. But as I said, we’ve had a number of talks already with the highest-level administration officials dealing with foreign policy, defense, and security. And all of that has been very positive.

And we haven’t heard anything even negative. So everything we’ve heard has been positive and future-oriented, which is also a good sign. So I think we’re working on that basis.

And as you know, there’s a possibility, maybe in the near future, of a visit or a meeting between President Trump and President Marcos. So all these are in the works. And at the moment, there hasn’t really been anything that would give us a different impression of not being positive.

Bea Cupin: When you say future-oriented, what sort of future is that? Is it more of the same, is it a different kind of future?window.rapplerAds.displayAd( "middle-2" );window.

rapplerAds.displayAd( "mobile-middle-2" );Enrique Manalo: For example, economic cooperation. We’re looking at cooperation in newer areas, especially toward building more cooperation in areas where we’ve started, like we want to build more, like energy, so there’s renewable energy.

In areas such as [artificial intelligence], cybersecurity cooperation, things like that...

. You’re not just trying to solidify what’s already there, but you’re thinking of newer areas to cooperate [with]. Of course, we’ll have to meet to identify specifics.

But the general approach would be along those lines.Marites Vitug: Do you worry about Trump’s alignment with Russia? Clearly indications are [there] that his world view is that Russia is an ally of the US. And he has this aversion towards Europe and Canada.

So does it worry you that the world has changed? Enrique Manalo: He has certainly [a] different approach to the issues. By the way, I think that’s a US decision. That’s their own foreign policy.

Obviously, for example, in Ukraine, we have supported all efforts towards peace and ceasefire. And of course we recognize that the parties involved would have to be the ones eventually to agree on any peace deal. But the Philippines has consistently supported efforts at peace in Ukraine.

But without prejudging, of course, the details. But we’ve participated in two peace conferences already in the past year on [the issue of] Ukraine. So nevertheless, we’ve also supported Ukraine in the United Nations at least on the issue of sovereignty.

But certainly, any effort of peace, we would welcome. But we would leave them to the parties to decide on the elements or the details on any peace agreement or any ceasefire.Bea Cupin: You’ve spoken about economic ties with the US, defense ties, but a lot of Filipino nongovernmental organizations have been affected, continue to be affected, by the cutting of USAID (US Agency for International Development).

How does that figure in our relationship with the US, and are we worried because the US is pulling out of their global commitments in terms of health, education? That leaves a vacuum, and that vacuum might be filled by a country, like say, China. Enrique Manalo: First of all, the decision of the US, for example, [to] withdraw from some UN agencies — this is their own sovereign right. I think another country has also withdrawn, one of the Latin American countries, has withdrawn from the UN agencies.

So it’s really a sovereign right. Every country decides what’s in its best interest. Naturally, I think in terms of the UN, the US does provide a lot of funding.

So I understand because of that, you’ll just have to tighten your belts on the organizations. But in the case of the Philippines, that doesn’t stop us from pursuing our goals in the United Nations. Even though the US may not be a member of some of them.

Yes, there will be a vacuum, and it’s really up to the countries now to see how it can fill the vacuum...

. We just have to continue. Because there are still over a hundred countries that are members of these organizations.

Bea Cupin: But as Marites mentioned, with the world changing so casually, is there space for other countries to step in and fill that vacuum that the US might or is leaving behind by pulling out of their foreign aid? Enrique Manalo: I suppose it depends, but I think countries like the Philippines can step in, and also, in terms of cooperation, and activities. And so we will work with that. And of course, if the US wishes to return, they’re always welcome.

But I think we have to keep on working together with the other members of United Nations. And so far our plans have been on that note, and have been continuing along those steps because as I’ve said, if a country wishes to leave an organization, it’s their sovereign right.On the provisional agreement between the Philippines and ChinaBea Cupin: What [are] the prospects of this agreement? Do we see this agreement siguro being a different agreement, perhaps, applied to different features of the West Philippine Sea? Enrique Manalo: Let me just say, the provisional understanding, which was signed, I think it was signed some months ago — so far we’ve had four, five supply missions without incident.

And I can say without divulging the specific content that in arriving at that arrangement, the Philippines did not surrender any of its positions insofar as the South China Sea is concerned. We have reached [an] understanding. But our positions have not been compromised, and they remain the same.

Marites Vitug: We’ve learned from various informed sources that under the provisional agreement, China Coast Guard escorts the Philippine resupply boats to [BRP] Sierra Madre, while the Coast Guard, our Coast Guard ship, just watches from a distance. Is this accurate? And is this fulfilling, satisfying, for the Philippine government — satisfactory, rather, for the Philippine government? Enrique Manalo: I don’t know..

.who sent you that..

.. Maybe they’re not that informed.

But we get our information from...

the Coast Guard. And there’s no such thing as escorting. Obviously, they have to know you’re coming, but they also tell us that they’re there.

So that’s more or less how it works. window.rapplerAds.

displayAd( "middle-3" );window.rapplerAds.displayAd( "mobile-middle-3" );Bea Cupin: Siguro the public is also wondering, bakit nga ba hindi public ‘yong provisions ng arrangement na ito? Could you explain siguro for a layman.

Enrique Manalo: Unang-una, it’s provisional, so it’s subject to change. And ang importante [dito], it was an agreement, and it was not what they had before — the so-called gentleman’s agreement — where there was no record. So here, there’s a record.

And I suppose if any incident happens, which is consistent in understanding, we will have a basis to do it — to, let’s say, complain. But so far, everything has worked. That’s at least four or five.

And so I think it’s better to leave it that way because just to assure you that, as I said, none of our positions have been compromised. And there’s nothing there that mentions escorting or anything. It’s purely to allow the missions to proceed, their humanitarian supplies missions.

Bea Cupin: You’ve mentioned, July last year, this agreement, understanding, was disclosed to the public. [And] five, more or less, five supply missions [were] uneventful; we like hearing uneventful nowadays. But how would you describe Philippine-China relations at this point? Enrique Manalo: Certainly, there are irritants, and there’s tension, especially on the South China Sea.

And that is something that we’re all aware of and [have] seen. And the tension, of course, has risen over the last two years. Nevertheless, our relations with China on the economic front, of course, are continuing.

We have strong relations with them, as all countries do, and also in other areas. Definitely on the South China Sea, there are tensions, simply because we are still unable really to fully exercise our sovereign rights in areas which are clearly within our own Exclusive Economic Zone. So that will always lead to tensions.

And as long as China also seeks to apply its domestic laws to areas in our EEZ or maintain its vast number of Coast Guard vessels, which have harassed or potentially [prevented] us from fulfilling our missions...

, that will always cause tensions. Of course, we’re committed [to] trying to manage that, and to do it in a diplomatic, peaceful way. And we will continue to do it.

But those are certainly activities which will cause tension. Marites Vitug: About a monster boat that has been coming to the Philippines, do you think it is part of a monster boat diplomacy — the gunboat diplomacy of old? Do you think they’re using, kind of using, this as a leverage, or to pressure the Philippines to concede?Enrique Manalo: We’re certainly concerned and looking closely at how this thing develops, these monster ships, if they’re something that would be regular. And see, that’s also the cause of tension; we’re not quite sure what China’s planning, especially within our EEZ.

And that’s one reason we’re getting also support from other countries — these joint sails, joint patrols...

. Because what happens in the South China Sea is not only going to affect the Philippines. First of all, it affects international law, rules-based order.

But then it also affects the belief that the South China Sea and Indo-Pacific should be free and open. And no country can’t claim the sea. So in the end, we are supported in that due by many.

So we’re not the only ones probably. We’re looking at this with some concern, the developments. And I think that’s what the countries are also seeing through.

I think that’s why we’re cooperating more with many, not because they necessarily agree with us on everything, but because probably they see the situation the same way. So we have common interests in addressing this issue. On the Philippines’ ASEAN chairmanshipMarites Vitug: [On] the topic of ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) chairmanship, the Philippines will chair ASEAN next year.

What are your goals? Do you expect the code of conduct on the South China Sea to be finally concluded after decades? Enrique Manalo: It would be nice if it’s concluded under Philippine chairmanship. But they’re still negotiating. Without going [into] the details, I think we have already had three rounds of negotiations.

And I think they, more or less, discussed the technical issues — [there are] many. But as the President said in Laos last year at the summit, there’s still some big ticket issues which have not been fully discussed. And the Philippine position has been that we must have an effective and substantive code of conduct.

Marites Vitug: A legal binding document.Enrique Manalo: [For] the work [to] become effective and substantive, you have to discuss some of these big ticket milestone issues. One of them is whether the code would be, in the end, legally binding or not.

...

And the code has to be argued [in the context of] international law, and rules-based. And also, in some ways, what is the scope of the code? How do you define the South China Sea? So these are issues which would have to be addressed. Even if you have agreed on some of the technical details on what to do, on what happens, [if] without an agreement on that, it will be hard to have a code.

But I think discussions would begin again on those issues. But at this time, more seriously. So who knows? Maybe by our chairmanship next year, all of that would be answered.

Marites Vitug: Is it possible for the claimant countries within Southeast Asia to come together and...

to forge a united front against China? Is Malaysia impossible? Enrique Manalo: We could divide that into two. First, yeah, we are trying to enhance our talks with the claimants on a bilateral basis — Vietnam, Brunei, and Malaysia. Last year, we had an MOU (memorandum of understanding) with Vietnam, MOU with Brunei, and part of that [is] to see how we can cooperate on maritime activities and settle any disputes through peaceful, diplomatic means.

We’re also talking now with Malaysia. And I believe, it’s also important [that] the claimant states discuss more on the code of conduct, at least the ASEAN claimant states..

.. And I think there’s a role that the claimant states in ASEAN could play in terms of the negotiations on the COC.

So I think that will also be explored, because the claimant states are the most affected, will be the most affected, by the code. But bilaterally, yes we’re discussing evidence, so hopefully we can find ways of working together on the code of conduct, negotiations. On the Philippines’ invitation to the G7 meeting in ItalyMarites Vitug: For the first time, last year, the Philippines was invited — you were present at the G7 (Group of Seven) meeting in Italy.

Why is this significant, and do you think this will continue to be significant in light of the change, again, in the US [where] there’s a coming split between the US and Europe?Enrique Manalo: Just [from] my perspective, I was invited — the Philippines was invited — to the G7 to discuss specifically the situation in the Indo-Pacific. And I agree that we are invited along with India, Indonesia, because of the recognition of the G7 on the importance, the seriousness of the situation in the South China Sea, and the importance of seeing that a conflict does not erupt. And I think it also, in a way, signifies support for our position on the South China Sea, basically the importance of abiding by our international law, rules-based order, and our approach of trying to manage the disputes through diplomatic means.

I think my being invited was a recognition of that approach. [The G7 supported our approach in their statements], and the importance of international law, and at the same time, the importance of the South China Sea as a strategic waterway. It is an issue concerning the international community, and not just the little countries around the South China Sea.

So I think that reflects [their] concern now — what’s going on in the South China Sea, and the broader Indo-Pacific. Marites Vitug: So you think Europe is stepping up, will step up, in the light of the US’s withdrawal from international commitment?Enrique Manalo: Stepping up in [the] South China Sea? Marites Vitug: Yes. Enrique Manalo: I believe so.

As we talked about earlier, for example, individual EU (European Union) countries are increasing their presence here through sails. Just the other week, [a French] aircraft carrier passed through, German ships have come here, the UK. I just met the UK foreign minister earlier this month.

And it’s clear that they have now an Indo-Pacific strategy for this. And the same with the EU — the new EU foreign minister is planning to visit the Philippines too. And that would signify, again, a growing interest in this region.

So I think they begin to see how connected we all are. And it’s important that we coordinate especially [among] like-minded countries or partners and friends. – Rappler.

com.