
window.rapplerAds.displayAd( "middle-1" );window.
rapplerAds.displayAd( "mobile-middle-1" );MANILA, Philippines – Qatari authorities have provisionally released 17 Filipinos who were detained on March 28 over an “unauthorized” political gathering, Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Cacdac said on Thursday, April 3.In a Malacañang press briefing, Cacdac said that the 17 were released on Thursday in batches divided by sex — the 12 males at 2:30 am, and the five females around 4 am the same day.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. had directed Philippine authorities to secure their immediate release.No charges have been filed against them so far.
Their legal representation, provided by the Philippine government, argued that the lack of charges was reason enough for a provisional release. “This means they have their liberty pending investigation. They’re able to all go home to their respective homes in Qatar, in Doha,” said Cacdac.
He added that since they were still under investigation, they will still be provided legal assistance.There were originally 20 detained — three were minors and were released earlier.Cacdac used the opportunity on the Malacañang podium to remind Filipinos to obey local laws in their host countries.
“In Qatar, they responded with arrests. But when it comes to mass actions and assemblies..
.. [Other countries] have been monitoring the movements, the behavior of our Filipino communities abroad,” he said in a mix of English and Filipino.
On March 28, Filipinos at home and abroad held simultaneous prayer rallies for former president Rodrigo Duterte, who turned 80 while being detained at the International Criminal Court for alleged crimes against humanity.Possible caseThe alleged reasons for the Filipinos’ arrest were illegal assembly, gathering without a permit, and gatherings that potentially disturb public security, according to Cacdac.Should the Filipinos be charged, the penalties for illegal assembly are imprisonment of six months to three years, and a potential fine of 10,000 to 50,000 Qatari riyals (P156,859.
10 to P784,295.51).window.
rapplerAds.displayAd( "middle-2" );window.rapplerAds.
displayAd( "mobile-middle-2" );Some groups, particularly pro-Duterte communities on social media, claim that Qatari authorities arrested the Filipinos over visa issues, and not because of a political gathering. The Philippine embassy in Qatar, the Department of Foreign Affairs, and Cacdac’s Department of Migrant Workers have confirmed the link of the arrests to the gathering.“One person’s personal opinion or recommendation is one thing.
But what the Qatari authorities are seeing and investigating, as well as what our defense is, is another thing. And that will be the subject of the investigation,” said Cacdac.The 17 Filipinos will not be able to leave Qatar during the investigation.
Community supportIn a statement sent before the Filipinos’ release was announced, Migrante Middle East said that that all overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) deserve protection and support in times of distress, regardless of political affiliations.The group said that its chapter in Qatar was “on the ground and ready to provide direct assistance to the affected OFWs.” Its offices in the Philippines have also been reaching out to their families back home.
“Now more than ever, we must rise above political divisions and stand united as Filipinos. The struggles of our fellow migrant workers go beyond political affiliations, and it is our collective responsibility to ensure that no Filipino is left behind. In the face of adversity, solidarity remains our greatest strength,” said Migrante Middle East.
Migrante is a progressive organization that has been politically at odds with the Philippine administration and its supporters, especially from Duterte to Marcos when it was subject to red-tagging amid both administrations. But when the pro-Duterte Filipinos were detained, Migrante still expressed “deep concern,” and urged all Filipinos in Gulf states to exercise caution in expressing their political views. – Rappler.
com1 QAR = P15.69.