
THE National Bureau of Investigation-Southeastern Mindanao Regional Office (NBI-Semro) clarified that only Local Civil Registry (LCR) officials, not mayors, were charged in connection with the issuance of falsified late registered birth certificates in Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur. Lawyer Arcelito C.
Albao, NBI-Semro director, explained that the responsibility for approving birth registrations lies solely with LCR officers, as they are the ones who process and sign the documents. “As for the mayors, different individuals have held the position over the years, and based on our investigation, they were not involved since they do not interfere with LCR operations,” Albao said on Monday, March 31, 2025. Despite overseeing municipal operations, mayors do not have direct control over civil registry transactions.
Under the Civil Registry Law, the LCR office independently verifies and processes birth registration applications, making the officers within that department accountable for any fraudulent activities. “The LCR officers are the ones responsible for ensuring the legitimacy of the documents they process,” Albao said. “Mayors do not sign birth certificates or personally review civil registry applications.
Their role is administrative, not regulatory, when it comes to document authentication.” This is why no charges have been filed against Sta. Cruz’s mayors, even though the fraudulent birth registrations occurred between 2018 and 2021 under multiple administrations.
Authorities are also monitoring other local government units (LGUs) in the Davao Region for similar fraudulent practices. “We do not know yet as of this time, but as I mentioned in my last interview, we are monitoring some other LGUs. We cannot disclose which ones, but as long as we have evidence and supporting documents, we will file cases in time,” Albao said.
The NBI has filed 66 counts of various charges against LCR employees, along with six to seven Chinese nationals, for their alleged roles in facilitating fraudulent birth registrations. The cases, submitted to the Office of the Ombudsman for Mindanao, include graft and corruption, perjury, falsification of public documents, and violations of the Civil Registry Law. From 2018 to 2021, 1,576 late registered or allegedly fake birth certificates were recorded in Sta.
Cruz, raising concerns about the extent of the scheme. The first charges were filed late last year, with additional cases in January, February, and March 2025. The NBI has also identified fixers and lawyers who notarized false affidavits for birth registration applications.
“When applying for a late registration of a birth certificate, you need to submit supporting documents, including affidavits from two disinterested persons. Some lawyers were involved in notarizing these documents. Lawyers should know that the signatories must personally appear before them and sign their notarial books, as required by law,” Albao emphasized.
The NBI National Director, Judge Jaime Santiago, has ordered all regional, district, and field offices to investigate fraudulent late birth registrations across the country. “We have initial feedback that this issue is not just in the Davao Region but also in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao,” Albao confirmed. As the investigation continues, the NBI is gathering additional documents and evidence before filing further charges against other municipalities and cities involved in the scheme.
Jhayrene Hermoso, DOrSU Intern.