Guinea's junta sets September vote on new constitution after missed deadline

featured-image

Guinea’s military government says a long-promised referendum on a new constitution will take place this September. The vote is seen as a first step towards a return to civilian rule, which the junta had previously promised would happen by the end of 2024. “The date for the referendum for the adoption of the new constitution is set for Sunday 21 September 2025,” said General Amara Camara, secretary general of the presidency, during a televised address on Tuesday.He was reading a presidential decr

Guinea’s military government says a long-promised referendum on a new constitution will take place this September. The vote is seen as a first step towards a return to civilian rule, which the junta had previously promised would happen by the end of 2024. “The date for the referendum for the adoption of the new constitution is set for Sunday 21 September 2025,” said General Amara Camara, secretary general of the presidency, during a televised address on Tuesday.

He was reading a presidential decree, the French news agency AFP reported. Guinea 's junta, led by General Mamadi Doumbouya, seized power in a coup in September 2021. It had promised, under international pressure, to hold a constitutional vote and then transfer power to elected civilians.



Neither of those commitments has been met. In his New Year’s address, Doumbouya said 2025 would be a “crucial electoral year to complete the return to constitutional order”, but gave no timeline. While Doumbouya has publicly said several times that he does not intend to run for president, those close to him are reportedly urging him to enter the race.

A “transition charter” adopted by the junta shortly after the coup bars members of the military government or other state institutions from standing in elections. However, that restriction could be lifted if a new constitution is passed. Outcry in Guinea as ex-military leader Camara pardoned by junta chief Presidential pardon Read more on RFI English Read also: Guinea returns to Francophonie body three years after suspension Two die in clashes in Guinea Conakry as unions begin general strike against junta Guinea’s political parties face survival test as junta orders mass cull.