Felda settler loses two homes to fire in 7 months

featured-image

KUANTAN: After his house in Felda Lepar Hilir 3, near Gambang here, was razed in a fire last September, Mukhtaruddin Abdul Hamid, 78, had to live in a one-room home with his wife, son and grandchildren.

KUANTAN: After his house in Felda Lepar Hilir 3, near Gambang here, was razed in a fire last September, Mukhtaruddin Abdul Hamid, 78, had to live in a one-room home with his wife, son and grandchildren.Just as he was beginning to rebuild his life, tragedy struck again when his rental home went up in flames yesterday.The 9pm incident left Mukhtaruddin, his wife, Hamsiah Sukri, 68, their son and four grandchildren with only the clothes on their backs.

Their house and another unit where their landlord lived were razed. The father of six said he was in the living room when Hamsiah stepped out of the house and screamed that there was a fire on the porch."When I ran to check, my wife fainted.



I carried her and shouted for the others to leave the house."Some neighbours rushed to help and brought out the cooking gas cylinders, fearing an explosion."Most electrical appliances and clothes in the house were donated by charities, friends and relatives after last year's fire.

"I was just rebuilding my life. I will face hard times again," he told the New Straits Times at the Felda scheme here today.Mukhtaruddin said his wife was taken to Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital in an ambulance yesterday and was allowed to return home about 10am today.

He said the fire at his home on Sept 7 last year was caused by a short circuit.It burnt down the house that he had lived in since 1986."I am lucky to be chosen for the Rumah Rakyat Al-Sultan Abdullah project.

The house is under construction."Landlord Roslan Jamina, 44, said he was in his hometown Karak, Bentong, when a neighbour called to tell him about the fire. He rushed home late yesterday with his wife and three children.

"My family is left with only the luggage we brought to my hometown."I lost everything in the fire. I am still shocked.

"I am staying at my mother's house in the settlement," the lorry driver said as his voice trembled.Pahang Fire and Rescue Department assistant director (operations) Mohd Salahuddin Isa said the department's forensic unit went to the fire site today and would investigate the cause of the fire.Lepar assemblyman Mohd Yazid Mohd Yunus's aide, Mohamad Fasrullah Mohd Razali, visited the victims today.

He said the assemblyman's office would look into aid for the victims with young children and grandchildren.© New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd.