
A council is set to shell out almost £1.7 million on just four homes for use by the homeless and refugees with government assistance - despite originally asking for help purchasing 20. On March 27, Dartford council’s cabinet approved the purchase of four properties to use as temporary and resettlement accommodation.
The total cost of the purchase is set to be almost £1.7 million, of which £730,000 has been provided by the government, and £950,000 from the council’s reserves. Three of the properties are to be used as temporary accommodation for homeless households, and one for a household of Afghan refugees being resettled under a government scheme.
The money was allocated to Dartford council by the government as part of the third round of the Local Authority Housing Fund - a capital project intended to help councils cover the cost of housing the homeless and refugees. However, council documents state the local authority’s initial bid for 20 homes was “not accepted”. This is despite the fact that, as the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS) revealed in February, Dartford is losing the stock of properties it rents as temporary accommodation as landlords hike the rent they charge the authority.
The council’s own figures show between January and December last year the number of people on the housing register - meaning those in desperate need of a home unable to find one themselves - increased by almost 32%. A council spokesperson said: “We have received funding for four properties. While it’s less than we applied for, this will still contribute to our efforts to house homeless families in Dartford.
“This application reflects only one part of our work to end homelessness in Dartford and we’re grateful for the contribution. “We will continue to work with partner agencies and find opportunities to support those who are the most vulnerable in our communities.” Of the homes to be acquired, three are described as “family homes” to be used as temporary accommodation, and the fourth is described as “4 bedroom +” and will be used for an Afghan household.
Cabinet member for housing Cllr David Mote (Con) declined to comment due to pre-election rules pertaining to the upcoming Kent County Council election. Cllr Debbie Graham (Lab), Dartford Labour’s housing spokeswoman, said: “Labour Councillors warmly welcome any initiative that goes towards alleviating the awful situation some households in Dartford are facing when it comes to housing. “There are currently more than 400 Dartford households in temporary accommodation.
“Many of these are families with children and, due to a lack of accommodation, have been placed outside of Dartford. “Temporary accommodation is merely a sticking plaster to the housing crisis and is not only costly in financial terms for the Council, it’s also extremely costly both emotionally and psychologically for the affected families.” The Department for Housing, Communities and Local Government was approached for comment.
.