Christchurch headmaster dismissed police concerns: former detective

A Christchurch school headmaster dismissed police concerns about the covert and potentially illegal filming of a teacher, a former detective has told the Employment Relations Authority.

featured-image

A Christchurch school headmaster dismissed police concerns about the covert and potentially illegal filming of a teacher, a former detective has told the Employment Relations Authority. Susan Mowat has accused her former employer Christchurch Boys' High School of unfair dismissal in 2019. Separately, she said the decile-10 state school accused her of leaking information to the media about the student who filmed the teacher.

The filming incident occurred during Mowat's time at the school, but did not involve her. Police investigated the matter, but further details of what occurred were suppressed by the authority. On Wednesday, during the third day of a hearing into Mowat's claims, former Detective Sergeant Daniel Isherwood told the authority the school headmaster Nic Hill was dismissive of police concerns about the filming incident.



"It wasn't taken very seriously about its criminal offending," he said. Isherwood said Christchurch Boys' High School's lawyer AJ Lodge Hill had "palmed off" the matter to a colleague. Mowat claimed her departure from the school was the result of being targeted by Hill.

She alleged school board meeting minutes from 2019 had been fraudulently doctored. The school's board chair Michael Singleton was due to give evidence on Wednesday afternoon, with Hill to follow on Thursday. The hearing is due to finish on Friday.

.