Charleston's Four Seasons will have to make some concessions after an appearance before the Board of Architectural Review . Strategic Property Partners requested changes to its design plans, which included moving three levels of parking underground, adding rooms to the downtown mixed-use resort project and changing some key material choices on the exterior facade. The revisions now show 140 guest rooms and 36 residential units, within the previously approved limits of 150 and 50, respectively.
Two preservation groups challenged the request to change the materials. They and BAR members called the proposed replacements a "downgrade" and "inferior" to the approved materials that enabled the project to add a recessed eighth floor — for a rooftop terrace, conservatory and a pool — based on "architectural merit and context." The proposed changes that weren't approved included using pre-cast concrete instead of limestone and replacing glass with stucco along a stair enclosure.
Anna-Catherine Alexander of the Preservation Society of Charleston said materials and craftsmanship at the base of the building should be the highest-most durable quality to "contribute to the authenticity of Charleston." "The standard that must be upheld for this project is especially high given that an additional floor was approved because this board felt its initial design elements achieved architectural merit," Alexander added. Lisa Jones , director of advocacy with Historic Charleston Foundation , echoed those concerns.
BAR members approved the request to move the parking underground but was firm that the material changes couldn't easily be changed given the profile of the project and what it took to earn architectural merit. A suite-style boutique hotel proposed for 657 King St. was sent back to the drawing board again at the March 12 Board of Architectural meeting, after the panel and preservationists raised questions about the height and design.
A boutique hotel is proposed for 657 King St., near the Septima P. Clark Parkway overpass.
The developer is an affiliate of locally based CKC Properties , which has been working on plans to develop a six-story lodging with 27 guest rooms and commercial space for the past year. The company paid $4.75 million for the property near Line Street in 2024.
The site is comprised of several parcels just south of the Septima P. Clark Expressway overpass. The developer first sought BAR conceptual approval for what would be the northernmost hotel on King Street in December.
A hotel opening near the Tanger Outlets in North Charleston is staffing up in anticipation of its spring debut. The 123-room Element by Westin at 4865 N. Arco Lane is expected to open in April, Greenville-based operator Hospitality America announced.
Thirty-year hospitality industry veteran Jennifer Colangelo was tapped as general manager of the hotel . She's previously worked as a regional director of operations overseeing eight Hilton , Choice , Hyatt , Marriott and Best Western hotels in the Charleston area. Work on a 125-room Element by Westin in North Charleston near Tanger Outlets started in late 2023.
“Not only is it the newest hotel among some very old assets (many of which have not been updated for five or more years), but its health-and-wellness concept is sure to appeal to modern travelers visiting Charleston," Colangelo said in a written statement. It won't be the newest lodging for long in that area of the city. An eight-story, 252-room Drury Plaza Hotel at 2934 W.
Montague Ave. is scheduled to open in July..
Technology
Charleston board denies Four Seasons changes citing prior 'architectural merit' decision

The developer of the mixed-use resort project wanted to replace some of the previously approved building materials with what critics called "inferior" alternatives.