
T he government’s push toward a 100 per cent renewable energy future advanced significantly on Tuesday with the long-awaited launch of the Barbados National Energy Company Limited (BNECL), a consolidated energy powerhouse tasked with leading the nation’s transition away from fossil fuels. Formed through the merger of the Barbados National Oil Company Limited (BNOCL) and the Barbados National Terminal Company Limited (BNTCL), BNECL will spearhead efforts to modernise the country’s energy infrastructure, expand access to alternative fuels, and scale up battery storage and natural gas use. The National Petroleum Corporation (NPC), another major state-run energy agency, will join the amalgamation in the coming months.
Speaking during the rebranding ceremony at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre, Minister of Energy and Business Senator Lisa Cummins moved to reassure employees, including those at NPC who have not yet transitioned, that the merger will not result in job losses. “There are no redundancies as a consequence of this transition. All of our jobs in these companies are secure,” she said.
“And when NPC is folded in, your rights will be preserved.” Cummins made it clear that BNECL will not be a passive holding company but the driving force behind major clean energy projects already in the pipeline and those to come. You Might Be Interested In Crystal Beckles-Holder, 2nd runner up in regional competition GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses Barbadians asked to help with return tickets for Haitians Nothing that the the amalgamated company is tasked with the critical responsibility of “powering Barbados’ renewable energy future,” she said it will be will be the vehicle through which government will execute its two core energy blueprints—the 2019 National Energy Policy and the recently launched Energy Transition Investment Plan, which chart Barbados’ course to a 100 per cent renewable energy future by 2030 and beyond.
Referencing the county’s previous fossil fuel bill, which exceeded a billion dollars up to last year, Cummins said, “We cannot continue down that path. You are now central to executing our energy transition investment plans.” According to the minister, BNECL will lead several projects critical to hitting the country’s energy targets, including the expansion of Barbados’ natural gas network across underserved parishes; the rollout of compressed natural gas (CNG) for public and private transportation; the development of biofuels from local sources such as rum waste and sargassum; and the launch of battery energy storage systems to support grid stability.
Minister of Energy and Business Senator Lisa Cummins in conversation with PS in the ministry, Kevin Hunte. (HG) Cummins revealed that Cabinet recently approved the prequalification process for the long-planned wind farm at Lambert, St Lucy, in partnership with the Inter-American Development Bank and the World Bank’s International Finance Corporation. She further shared that battery storage pilot projects are also expected to begin this year.
Repeatedly underscoring the importance of unity across agencies, the minister noted that the government intends to capitalise the newly merged company with fresh resources, including new fiscal facilities and existing support from financial partners. “The transition ahead will require everyone to be fully engaged. You are leading this country into its energy future,” she said.
Interim chairman of BNECL and NPC board chairman, Dr Asquith Thompson, called the launch a defining moment in the island’s energy journey. “This moment is a testament to our shared vision, our commitment to excellence, and our unwavering dedication to powering Barbados towards a sustainable energy future,” he said. “The amalgamation of Barbados’ national oil group of companies marks more than just a structural change.
It is a bold step towards energy innovation and national progress.” (SM).