A report of a potential Princess Diana documentary from Prince Harry—and Netflix—is being dismissed by a royal commentator and editor. Why? Because of what the Duke of Sussex, 40, and his estranged brother, Prince William, 42, once said about discussing their late mother’s death publicly. Harry is reportedly working on a documentary about Princess Diana with Netflix In a Sunday Express report on March 22, 2025, the British tabloid claimed the real reason Netflix hasn’t cut ties with Harry and Meghan Markle isn’t in case of divorce.
Rather, because Harry’s in talks with the streamer to produce a three-part documentary to mark the 30th anniversary of Diana’s death. (It will be 30 years on Aug. 31, 2027, since Diana and two others died in a Paris, France, car crash.
) The documentary is, per the report, set to air in 2027. It’d also have Harry serving as co-executive producer, presenter, and narrator on the project without his wife, the Duchess of Sussex, 43. An insider called the documentary a “solo project for Harry” that would provide “fresh insights” into Diana’s life and legacy.
“He is uniquely placed not only to talk about the woman he knew—his mother—but also to examine her role as an enduring social and cultural icon still beloved by so many,” the source said, noting Harry would do so “with passion and sensitivity.”A Diana documentary with Harry is unlikely to ‘happen at all’Russell Myers, a royal commentator and editor, doesn’t see reports of Harry teaming up with Netflix on a Diana documentary coming true any time soon. Speaking to True Royalty TV’s The Royal Beat, Myers said he “can’t see this” happening.
“I’ve seen those reports, and I’d be absolutely astonished if Harry was to work with Netflix in this matter,” he said, noting Harry and William appeared in a 2017 documentary about Diana to mark the 20th anniversary of her death. In it, he noted, “both had said publicly that that would be the last time that they’d spoken about their mother, drawing a line under it.” (More on what they said later.
)“And of course you’d have the accusations of Harry profiting off his mother’s death,” Myers continued. “There surely has to be more projects in the pipeline for him with Netflix or whoever, than talking about his mother’s passing.” “I mean, it’s not like a celebratory look back at her life for a birthday,” he added.
“It’s a rather tragic reminder of a life lost on such a tragic anniversary. So I don’t think that would happen at all.” William and Harry didn’t plan on doing another documentary about Diana ‘again’ RelatedMeghan Markle’s Decision to Have a ShopMy Page Comes Down to 1 Word, Insider Says—and It’s Not MoneyPrince William’s ‘King’ of Winning Over Younger People—Here’s How He Does ItIn the aforementioned BBC program, William shared that he and Harry had no plans of doing something similar—i.
e., another documentary about Diana—in the future. “We won’t be doing this again,” William said about him and Harry in the 2017 documentary.
Why? Because of their candid responses, as well as those from Diana’s friends and loved ones in the documentary. “We won’t speak as openly or publicly about her again,” William explained, “because we feel hopefully this film will provide the other side from close family friends you might not have heard before. From those who knew her best and from those who want to protect her memory, and want to remind people of the person that she was.
” Since then, a lot has changed for William and Harry. For starters, they are estranged. It’s rare to see them together.
When they are, it’s usually at funerals. Since relocating to California in 2020, Harry’s opened up about Diana’s death and the deterioration of his and William’s relationship, as well as his relationship with their father, King Charles III, in his 2023 Spare memoir and multiple interviews..
Entertainment
A Netflix Princess Diana Documentary From Harry Labeled Unlikely Because of What He and Prince William Said Years Ago

“There surely has to be more projects in the pipeline for him with Netflix or whoever, than talking about his mother’s passing.”